Arlington Mill Community Center
The construction of Arlington Mill Community Center has been completed. The community center is now open. The residences are slated for completion in winter 2013. (Updated September 2013)
The Community Center
The Arlington Mill Community Center is the result of a long-term collaboration with the community to bring together on a single site a mixed-used facility and affordable housing. The Arlington Mill Community Center will provide a full menu of recreational, social and learning opportunities for all ages. It will build upon the existing mix of programs that are already playing a vital role in the lives of its many resident users, combining the more familiar and traditional recreational offerings with basic life services and instruction.
- Four floors of program space, totaling 42,250 square feet.
- 12,000 square feet reserved for future programs on third and fourth floors.
- A full-size gymnasium and fitness room.
- Four multi-purpose rooms for community events and five shared classrooms.
- An outdoor public plaza to accommodate festivals and community events.
- Retail space with adjacent soft seating area.
- A 156-space underground parking garage.
- Pedestrian connections to adjacent park, multi-purpose trails and Four Mile Run waterway.
Community Center Base Program – Something for Everyone!
Arlington Mill will provide diverse multicultural and multigenerational programs and services in a town center atmosphere at the west end of Columbia Pike. You’ll find family education, bilingual programs and services, job skills training and job placement assistance. There will be daily activities for older adults for social involvement, fitness and creativity, including a nutritious congregate meal program. Families, youths and teens will come together to enjoy sports, fitness, a game room, arts classes and camps. The outdoor plaza has seating and will be used for special events and festivals. There will be immunization clinics and a cardio fitness room for people who have Arlington County fitness memberships. There will also be comprehensive education, health, nutrition and parent services for low income children and their families as well as English classes, and a Capital Bikeshare station.
Arlington Mill Residences
Located on the north portion of the site and adjacent to the community center, the Arlington Mill Residences will be a 4-story, family-friendly building featuring a community room and underground parking. The building will achieve EarthCraft certification and will incorporate many green design features. Learn more about Arlington Mill Residences.
Compliance with Form Based Code (FBC) Details
- Two (2) buildings: a mixed-use building with community center uses (classified as a “Main Street” building following the FBC) and a residential building (classified as an “Avenue” building following the FBC).
- The mixed-use community center building located along Columbia Pike and Dinwiddie Street Required Building Lines (RBLs) for at least 75% of frontage; 5-story building; houses community center uses (DPR and DHS programs) including gymnasium and ground-floor retail.
- The residential building located along Dinwiddie Street RBL for at least 10% of frontage; 4-story building; housing 122 apartments and amenity spaces.
The budget for Arlington Mill Community Center is $36 million. It is funded through $33 million from bonds and $3 million from fiscal year 2009 and 2010 closeout funds.